Planet of Zeus are a
Southern-Stoner Metal band hailing from the Mediteranean lands of Greece. They
were formed in 2000 and, since then, have extensively toured around Greece and
Europe playing at the prestigious Desertfest 2013 in London, Stoned from the
Underground Festival 2011 in Erfurt, Exit Festival 2012 in Novisad and Rockwave
Festival 2012 in Athens among others. Their
raw, sincere and constantly evolving live performances has helped them become
the most successful heavy rock band in their country.
The band has previously
released two albums. “Eleven the hard way”, in April 2008 through Casket
Music/Copro Records (UK) and “Macho Libre”, in May 2011, through B-Otherside
Records (GR). Both albums, in both formats (CD/LP) have sold-out twice. In
November 2013 they finished recording their third and most mature album till
now, “Vigilante”. The album was released on Ihaveadrum Records on 22 April 2014.
You can read our REVIEW HERE.
We sat down the band to discuss their music, plans and their rise to success.
1. Greetings from Metal Melancholy! It’s an honour to have you on here. How are you guys doing?
Thank for you for the invitation! It's an honour too! We are just back from Exit Festival (Novi Sad, Serbia) and Rock Im Ring (Bolzano,Italy), checking all the last details before we set out for our upcoming European Tour.
2. The band recently released the third studio album “Vigilante” not more than a few months ago. What has been the initial response and reception from fans?
People talk about the most mature and rough-flavoured Planet of Zeus album so far. The reception has been more than positive plus the fact that there were many encouraging comments about the “life-full” sound of the album.
3. To a person who is listening to Planet of Zeus for the first time, how would you describe your music?
Riff-Oriented Rock music played in a heavy way, enriched with southern, bluesy and metal elements.
4. With the previous two albums having sold out (twice!), expectations were bound to be high with the new album, did they weigh on your mind in any way while making the new album?
Despite the, in a way, established fact that the third album of a band is the most significant one, I think that the best thing is to stay focused on your music and try not to be influenced by exogenous factors.
5. How hard has it been for you as a band trying to succeed with the current state of the music industry?
The band exists since 2000, a time during which it was really difficult for an unknown band to promote its music. Nowadays, this obstacle has vanished with the help of the internet. On the other hand ,now you really have to struggle to stand out as band due to over information. The Music industry has gone through many changes over the past few years, and will continue to do so. So every band that's really focused and is constantly motivated from its inner need to play music and express itself will have to pave its own way to reach as many listeners they can.
6. What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned from your experience that you would advise other upcoming bands about?
I am not sure if we are in the position to advise other bands, but showing the essential amount of respect to what you do and to those who support you, not hurrying up and making one step at a time, are probably crucial lessons so far.
7. You guys have over the years become one of the most successful heavy rock band from Greece. What adversities, if any do you face as a metal band in Greece?
The dominant adversity is that heavy music has a small chance of becoming mainstream in Greece. The vast majority stil prefers listening to Greek pop music, although there has been a slight turn towards rock/metal music throughout the last few years. More and more people are involved in this kind of music, coming from different musical backgrounds.
8. What are the current plans of the band, now that the album is out?
We just finished our tour around Greece, promoting our new album , "Vigilante". Now it's Europe's turn. There are going to be 36 shows in 42 days. In october, we are planning to release "Vigilante", in a limited double vinyl format and will continue touring around Greece and Europe.
9. That’s all the questions I have for you. Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. Good luck for all your future endeavours. Any last words you would like to say to your fans out there?
Thank so much for your support! We can't wait to be on the road again and have a good time with all you people!